
Today at the store, a guy was looking at diamond and sapphire earrings. He asked me if I thought that his girlfriend would like them. I said "Of course!" He said, "Pretty nice present, huh?" I said, "Yes." Then I asked him if he would like to know the best Valentines present I ever got and he said, "Sure." So here it goes.
Several years ago, Scott called me to say that he had gotten me a Valentines Day present and it would be delivered a few days early, so not to be surprised. I said "What is it?" (You have to realize that most years he doesn't even think about getting me a present which is weird, since he is in retail--duh)
"I traded diamond earrings for it."
"What is it?"
"You keep saying you what it."
"What is it?!"
"Well....it's a semi load of manure for your garden." (real bored tone)
Scott has always disliked my garden, maybe even hated it, so I was very surprised. When he ordered it at the garden center and said it was for his wife for Valentine's Day, he heard the receptionist at the counter mumble, under her breath, "You %#$@*&."
We get a great laugh every time we tell this story. It still is the very best gift he has ever given me. Some girls like jewels and others like crap.
He has given me some pretty sweet tools over the years as well. I think my favorite tool is my band saw. It's a Delta, 14" floor model. I love it and have used it for over 20 years. It still seams like it is brand new. That was a Mother's Day gift I had asked for, for a couple years.
Hope you all get what you really want for Valentine's.
This year I'm getting dangle earrings that I picked out. They are about 2" long. Maybe manure again another year.

No comments:
Post a Comment