Thursday, March 8, 2012

Katie's Birthday Quilt

After Christmas Katie was sitting on my bed with me having girl chat and she threw back the bed spread.  It has a very soft satin back.  She said, "Grandma! This is so soft, do you have any more of this material for a quilt for me?" I told her I didn't but then hit on a perfect present.
She loves Tinker Bell and her friends, so I decided to make her own "Pixie Hollow" scene.
close up of flowers

top half of quilt




Rosetta by purple foxglove flowers


flowers made w/ 1/8" wide ribbon

flowers made w/ 2 1/2" side ribbon

bottom half of quilt


This was a lot of fun to do.  It was fun to figure out how to make the flowers.  I have done silk ribbon embroidery, but have wanted to learn how to do it using the sewing machine. This gave me a good chance to practice.  I did have to use satin ribbon, but it was fun twisting it for vines and leaves.
The appliques were made using fabrics and free hand machine sewing for the added features.  The eyes and mouth were pretty tough.  All the shadow lines and texture lines are triple sewn so they won't come out.
All in all, I am pretty pleased with the final product.
(She is getting it early, since I am taking it to her soon.)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Sheila-- that is gorgeous! You are amazing!